UFC news: Carla Esparza responds to Dana White's curious remark – MMA Junkie

By ,
By and |
Carla Esparza can’t understand why a rematch with UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas would be a hard sell.
Considering not only does Esparza (18-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) hold a submission win over Namajunas in the division’s inaugural title fight in 2014, but she’s officially the No. 2-ranked strawweight with recent wins over top contenders Marina Rodriguez and Yan Xiaonan.
So with UFC president Dana White claiming that there are other options for Namajunas (11-4 MMA, 9-3 UFC), the former champion disagrees.
“Honestly that’s how I feel, that there’s really not a lot of other options,” Esparza told MMA Junkie on Tuesday. “I’d love to hear what the UFC or Dana would come for as the next option that they’re kind of talking about. But I personally, as a fan of the division and this sport, I couldn’t really think of any other fight that really makes sense, so we’ll see what they come up with. But in all actuality, I think Rose and I is a fight that makes sense. It’s a fight that she wants, it’s a fight that I want, so hopefully it happens.”
Namajunas is coming off a successful title defense against Zhang Weili this past weekend at UFC 268, her second straight win over her. In the post-fight press conference, Namajunas said that rematching Esparza would be the logical next step, but Esparza isn’t sure if that guarantees her the title shot.
“I mean, you never know with the UFC. They could always throw out whatever, but like I said, this is the only fight that makes sense,” Esparza said. “I think I made a statement in my last fight. I think Rose wants the fight. She thinks in her mind, at this current time, that this is the toughest fight for her. She wants to avenge her loss, and there’s nothing but respect between us, but I don’t think that’s gonna stop her from trying to take my head off and get that win.”
Esparza’s win over Namajunas came seven years ago in the Season 20 “Ultimate Fighter” finale. Both have grown exponentially since then, but Esparza’s collegiate wrestling background poses an interesting threat to the champion’s well rounded game.
When asked if she’s stylistically Namajunas’ worst matchup, Esparza respectfully acknowledged her growth.
“Stylistically, it’s hard to say,” Esparza said. “I think when we fought the first time, I was a bad matchup for Rose. But it’s been seven years, so a lot of her fights have been contended on the feet, but that’s not to say that she hasn’t been working a lot of things in the back, too, so I’m excited to see after all these years what improvements have come. I think it’s gonna be a much different fight.”
, , , , News, UFC, Videos
Dana White passes on Carla Esparza as No. 1 contender for Rose Namajunas after UFC 268: ‘We have an option’
Dana White says Carla Esparza shouldn’t wait for UFC title shot: ‘Never a wise decision to just sit out’
Carla Esparza says Rose Namajunas’ KO of Zhang Weili was no fluke, expects her to win rematch
Bellator· November 12, 2021 7:00 pm ET · By:
Bellator 271 takes place Friday, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).
Blue Corner· November 12, 2021 6:40 pm ET · By:
Although Michael Chandler survived Justin Gaethje’s barrage, his face seriously wore it after the fight.
Bellator· November 12, 2021 5:50 pm ET · By: and
Scott Coker isn’t sure when Dillon Danis will return, but he hopes he does.
News· November 12, 2021 5:00 pm ET · By:
MMA Junkie reporter Nolan King answers reader questions pertaining to the UFC, Bellator and beyond.
UFC· November 12, 2021 4:20 pm ET · By:
A welterweight matchup between Mickey Gall and Alex Morono is the latest addition to December’s UFC on ESPN 31.
Bellator· November 12, 2021 4:00 pm ET · By: and
If all goes according to plan, Fedor Emelinaneko will fight once more in Russia, and Bellator wants to make it an extra special occasion.
UFC· November 12, 2021 3:15 pm ET · By:
Justin Gaethje is convinced he’s next in line for the winner of Charles Oliveira vs. Dustin Poirier, but is one opponent more preferable?
News· November 12, 2021 2:30 pm ET · By:
Jason House is accused of punching his father, Kevin, several times during a meeting at a restaurant to discuss financial stake in Iridium Sports Agency.
UFC· November 12, 2021 1:45 pm ET · By:
Check out our staff members’ picks for the UFC Fight Night 197 main card, featuring Max Holloway vs. Yair Rodriguez.
UFC· November 12, 2021 1:40 pm ET · By: and
Check out the video highlights and photo gallery from the UFC Fight Night 197 weigh-ins and faceoffs in Las Vegas.
Thanks for signing up.
Please check your email for a confirmation.
Something went wrong.
Sign up for our newsletter and get every update delivered to your inbox!
Please re-enter your email address.
You'll now receive the top MMA Junkie stories each day directly in your inbox.
USA Today Sports
Powered by WordPress VIP
Start every day with our most popular content waiting in your inbox.
Please re-enter your email address.
You'll now receive the top MMA Junkie stories each day directly in your inbox.
Please enter an email address.
Thanks for signing up.
Please check your email for a confirmation.
Something went wrong.